Quote1

On good days I kayak fish solo, but on better days we kayak fish tandem.

It's better to sit in a boat thinking about God; then to sit in church thinking about fishing.

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Intro to My Kayak Fishing World

Hello all!

My name is Carter and I like to fish.   It started last summer when I took my hand-me-down rod and reel down to the ponds at a local rec center to see if I could catch anything.  But before I get ahead of myself, maybe I should back up a little more.  When I was in high school in a little north Texas town, my friends from school liked to fish.  I would join them by going to one of our friends house who had a pond with Catfish and Perch (only things that were caught).  I remember catching that little perch while sitting on a pedal boat in the middle of the pond.  I knew from the moment that I liked to fish, I just never followed the passion until recently.

Fast forward to the summer of 2013.

At this point I had been a 2-3 times a year fisherman that has been basically wasting my hard earned money on buying a fishing license every year for the past 5 years.  I was buying a hunting license so it just went together in my mind!  I would go out to Lake Ray Roberts and take my dozen minnows and drop my line from the pier.  I usually would catch one, but with the lack of fishing gear and fishing knowledge to make my fishing trip enjoyable, I just didn't partake in the addiction as much I should have.

So I took my only rod and reel and a spinner bait that I purchased from Cabela's to the local ponds hell bent on catching a fish.  Not knowing anything about how fish act or where they might be in the water, I started casting blindly into the pond.  Well I didn't catch anything if that is what you are wondering.  Not on that trip anyways.  But it had already taken a hold. I was going to become a fisherman.  It took me a few trips to Lake Lavon before I caught my 2nd fish that solidified my craving for catching fish.
Ah, look at that sandie. So glorious at the time when I was holding it. Taking out the lure that had grabbed it from the Lake of Lavon and given it to me.  I had mastered the primitive art of providing food.  If I was in the past where you relied on hunting and gathering your own food, I would not have gone hungry that night!

I showed everyone from my family and everyone at work that picture. I was so proud to have done something right to catch this fish so perfectly and to have gotten to share the moment with my soon to be wife.  Yes, fishing addiction you finally have me.

That is just a glimpse of the fishing lifestyle that I have taken to over the last year! And I am starting this blog to share everything that I do in regards to kayak fishing and my life.  I have a lot to explain to get everyone caught up but hopefully this hooks you like my first sandie.

I can't even wait till I get to tell you about my new kayak.

Cost:
$30 license
$5.99 Booyah Pond Magic

No comments:

Post a Comment