Quote1

On good days I kayak fish solo, but on better days we kayak fish tandem.

It's better to sit in a boat thinking about God; then to sit in church thinking about fishing.

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Review: 13 Fishing Omen Black & Pflueger Purist

Hello All!

Here is my first fishing gear review.  I will be reviewing my 13 Fishing Omen Black Spinning Rod and the Pflueger Purist Spinning Reel.


First up, let me say that I spent about 1 1/2 hours in Cabela's while deciding what rod and reel would replace the hand-me-down Walmart combo.  I talked to the sales guys, I Googled reviews of products, picked rods up, put rods down, walked to a different section for a breather, paced back and forth, etc before settling on my newest rod and reel.  I figured that my old setup was outdated, but until I cast the first lure with the new combo I didn't know what I was missing out on.

The 13 Fishing Omen Black Spinning Rod (Medium Power, Fast Action 6'7") is an awesome rod that is giving me everything that I was missing out on.  With a good price point of $100 I decided on this rod and am not looking back.  We can first start with the aesthetics of the rod itself.


The rod's finish is a very nice matte black.  I find it very cool and seems to minimizes sun glare. With some polarized sunglasses on and the sun shining, the rod has a unique and awesome look. I didn't see many (if any) other rods with the matte black finish so I could be in store for a surprise when after a couple more years use the color starts coming off or starts to loose its finish, but after 1 year its still looking very nice.

The sensitivity in the rod is great.  I am able to feel everything that I never knew I could fee previously.  I am able to run a jig-n-pig on the bottom of a pond and feel everything it is doing down there.  I can feel if there a weeds or moss or rocks.  Also able to feel all the bites.  The fast action is probably not the fastest of all rods out there, but at this price it might have one of the best.  The flexibility in the tip of the rod seems to show signs of being faster then other rods I have test.


The silver woven portion of the rod is my only complaint.  Fortunately it is only on the small part that twist to hold on the reel and the part hidden by the reel connecting to the rod.  The silver woven part looks a little cheap.  It might not be cheap and could be the expensive part, but to me it doesn't do the rod any justice.  They could have put anything else there and I would have been happier.  I can say that it does match the color scheme of the entire rod so that is nice.  Also, the twist part is the only part that has given me any issue.  The issue isn't a functionality issue, but more of an annoyance.  The silver weave portion that is glued to that actual plastic twist part, and came unglued after a year of use.  Not too big of an issue, I just used a little super glue to put it back in the right place and it hasn't come off after about a dozen more trips.  Let me emphasize that this did not affect the functionality of the rod in any way.  I could see being annoyed if it did get loose again and I was out in the middle of the lake on my kayak, but I don't think its going to move anytime soon with the amount of glue I used!


The lure hook at the end works as needed.  It is pressed against the rod itself does a good job at making it very easy to hook your spinnerbait or Texas rigged worm while getting ready to store or transporting the combo.  I have found that having that part touching the rod the hook will sit in there without the line being taut.


The handle is over half cork and a portion of foam on the bottom when referencing the bottom section.  Above the reel it is mostly foam that is being held, but my thumb is on the cork when casting and retrieving.  I have heard that cork is the cool thing to have at the moment, but I have always had foam.  I appreciate the 2 different surfaces that are on this rod.  It makes it the best of both worlds for me and find it very comfortable to hold.  I have the look of the cork, and the functionality of the foam.

Speaking of comfortability, this combo just feels awesome while using it.  I do feel that it has a very balanced feel and I using it all day does not fatigue me in any sort of way.  The sales guy at Cabela's said that you should look for balance, and really this combination had the most balance of any I tested at this price point.

Over all I am 100% glad that I chose this rod!

Now for the Pflueger Purist Spinning Reel (1330).  I will put a disclaimer that I haven't used any decent reels previously to using this one, but I can say with enthusiasm that I absolutely love this reel.  It is smooth.  It feels well made. It has a good balance with my rod.  It has a smooth and sturdy bail.  It was a great deal when I got it on sale for $59.99.


As you can see from the picture, the bail is made from a metal bar.  I say metal bar because most of the other ones that I looked at had a metal wire.  I exaggerate, but I want to point out that others I looked at had a very thin bail that almost made me think that it was going to break after extensive use.  This one make me feel like I bought quality.  Knowing that that bail travels a long way and make frequent and abrupt stops, I felt that having it thicker would make it more sturdy and I have been glad that I made that decision.


Retrieving line is smooth and I cannot complain about the 10 bearing system used by Pflueger in this reel.  It is smooth as butter after a year.  Hopefully I will learn more about taking care of reels so that it stays this way for a long time.

 The fit of the reel fits very nicely on the rod and is very comfortable to hold.  I am in love with it! As much as any guy doesn't admit to caring how it looks, I am pleased to say that it matches my rod very nicely and I wouldn't be ashamed to take this with me wherever my fishing trips lead me.

Overall I give both of them a 2 thumbs up and wouldn't hesitate to purchase both of these or recommend them to a friend.

Hopefully I gave you a little more information on these products then you had previously.  Feel free to leave a message or ask any questions.

Cost:
13 Fishing Omen Black Spinning Rod - $100
Pflueger Purist Spinning Reel - $59.99





No comments:

Post a Comment